Job Posting Title:Research Associate
Hiring Department:Texas Advanced Computing Center
Position Open To:All Applicants
Weekly Scheduled Hours:40
Earliest Start Date:Jun 01, 2019
Position Duration:Expected to Continue
Location:PICKLE RESEARCH CAMPUS
Job Description:The Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC) Research Associate will join the High Performance Computing (HPC) area with particular focus on Message Passing Interface (MPI).
Job Details:General Notes
The Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC) at The University of Texas at Austin is one of the leading supercomputing centers in the world, supporting advances in computational research by thousands of researchers and students. TACC staff help researchers and educators use advanced computing, visualization, and storage technologies effectively, and conduct research and development to make these technologies more powerful, more reliable, and easier to use. TACC staff also educate and train the next generation of researchers, empowering them to make discoveries that advance knowledge and change the world.Responsibilities
- Work with TACC users to integrate HPC technologies into their research and development activities and to measure the impact of TACC's HPC systems on their research capabilities.
- Recommend the optimal Message Passing Interface (MPI) library for each HPC resource deployed at TACC and future acquisitions.
- Install, support, maintain, and tune the MPI library on each HPC resource.
- Evaluate new MPI libraries and runtime environments on the HPC architectures, systems, and software tools to determine best practices and identify future acquisition targets.
- Conduct research into parallel computing applications, techniques, tools, and algorithms and publicize the results of these activities through presentations at conferences/workshops, and professional journals.
- Pursue and obtain external funding to enhance TACC's HPC activities, expertise, and resources by submitting proposals to funding agencies, industrial partners, and vendors directly or in partnership with researchers and faculty at UT Austin or other institutions.
- Doctoral degree in a discipline relevant to the TACC mission.
- Research experience in large-scale computing including at least three relevant publications.
- Proficiency with common HPC programming languages, tools, and technologies: e.g. MPI, OpenMP, Fortran, C/C , CUDA/OpenCL.
- Four or more years of experience in scientific programming.
- Demonstrated expertise working in collaborative, interdisciplinary projects with computational scientists and engineers.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and professional demeanor.
Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.Preferred Qualifications
- Three or more years of post-graduate experience in a position related to the TACC mission.
- Experience developing parallel algorithms and MPI library functions.
- Experience developing parallel computing applications for materials science, molecular dynamics, atomic physics, or astrophysics.
- Experience and interest in teaching or producing HPC training materials.
- Experience supporting users of large-scale computing resources.
- Demonstrated history contributing to successful proposals for external funding.
$85,000 depending on qualificationsWorking Conditions
- Typical office environment
- 3 work references with their contact information; at least one reference should be from a supervisor
- Letter of interest
Important for applicants who are NOT current university employees or contingent workers: You will be prompted to submit your resume in the first step of the online job application process. Then, any additional Required Materials will be uploaded in the My Experience section; you can multi-select the additional files or click the Upload button for each file. Before submitting your online job application, ensure that ALL Required Materials have been uploaded. Once your job application has been submitted, you cannot make changes.
Important for Current university employees and contingent workers: As a current university employee or contingent worker, you MUST apply within Workday by searching for Find Jobs. Before you apply though, log-in to Workday, navigate to your Worker Profile, click the Career link in the left hand navigation menu and then update the sections in your Professional Profile. This information will be pulled in to your application. The application is one page and you will need to click the Upload button multiple times in order to attach your Resume, References and any additional Required Materials noted above.
Employment Eligibility:Regular staff who have been employed in their current position for the last six continuous months are eligible for openings being recruited for through University-Wide or Open Recruiting, to include both promotional opportunities and lateral transfers. Staff who are promotion/transfer eligible may apply for positions without supervisor approval.
Retirement Plan Eligibility:The retirement plan for this position is Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS), subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length. This position has the option to elect the Optional Retirement Program (ORP) instead of TRS, subject to the position being 40 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.
A criminal history background check will be required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The University of Texas at Austin, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer , complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
The University of Texas at Austin will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Employment Eligibility Verification:
If hired, you will be required to complete the federal Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 form. You will be required to present acceptable and original documents to prove your identity and authorization to work in the United States. Documents need to be presented no later than the third day of employment. Failure to do so will result in loss of employment at the university.
The University of Texas at Austin use E-Verify to check the work authorization of all new hires effective May 2015. The university’s company ID number for purposes of E-Verify is 854197. For more information about E-Verify, please see the following:
- E-Verify Poster (English) [PDF]
- E-Verify Poster (Spanish) [PDF]
- Right To Work Poster (English) [PDF]
- Right To Work Poster (Spanish) [PDF]
Employees may be required to report violations of law under Title IX and the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act). If this position is identified a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified and provided resources for reporting. Responsible employees under Title IX are defined and outlined in HOP-3031 .
The Clery Act requires all prospective employees be notified of the availability of the Annual Security and Fire Safety report. You may access the 2018 report here or obtain a copy at University Compliance Services, 1616 Guadalupe, Suite UTA 2.206, Austin, TX 78701.